Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Ella At 100

I would so much rather talk about Ella Fitzgerald's 100 years (she was born on April 25, 1917) than Donald Trump's 100 days. The rap on Ella was that she couldn't sing the blues.  Maybe not, but she was probably the greatest interpreter of what has come to be known as the Great American Songbook.

Here's some proof:



This is what I wrote about Ella a while back when I was doing profiles of fifty jazz albums:
The Songbook series of recordings is essential listening; her live albums are remarkable, especially the classic Ella in Berlin, and the albums in which she is paired with Louis Armstrong are fun.  But when I feel like listening to Ella, my go-to album is Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie.  In a small combo setting (piano, guitar, bass, drums), she swings, scats, and settles down for some lovely ballads too.  Highlights include, but are definitely not limited to, A Night in Tunisia, Stella By Starlight, Jersey Bounce and The Music Goes Round and Round.
 Enjoy!

2 comments :

Kristin said...

Wow, Charlie sounds like a great record -- Ella on A Night in Tunisia?! I have to look that one up! Like Someone In Love is one of my favorites and the album I've used to (unwittingly) turn philistines into Ella converts. Personally, I don't think life gets better than Ella on the Duke Ellington Songbook -- Ella, Duke, Britt Woodman, Dizzy, Oscar Peterson -- wow!!

Lovechilde said...

Like Someone In Love is a favorite of mine too!

Post a Comment