Thursday, January 26, 2017

It's Medication Time

Every time Trump does a TV interview it's like an infomercial for the 25th Amendment. -- Andy Borowitz
The New York Times argues with itself about whether to call out Trump's blatant falsehoods as lies, but ends up patting itself on the back because it actually, finally used the L-word with regard to his assertion that millions of undocumented immigrants voted in the election.  Not so much NPR, whose reporters and executives were reluctant to label Trump a liar "without the ability to peer into Donald Trump’s head" and out of concern that "branding things with a word like ‘lie,’ you push people away from you" and would be seen as "taking sides."

I agree that peering into Trump's head would be a terrifying prospect, but when he repeatedly makes statements that are completely at odds with verifiably objective facts, he is either lying or he is delusional.  I'm not sure what is more dangerous or disqualifying -- a president that can't stop lying or one that doesn't know the difference between objective facts and alternative ones.

Then there's this gem from Trump's interview on ABC yesterday regarding his much criticized speech at the CIA:
That speech was a home run. That speech, if you look at Fox, OK, I'll mention you -- we see what Fox said. They said it was one of the great speeches. They showed the people applauding and screaming and -- and they were all CIA. There was -- somebody was asking Sean -- "Well, were they Trump people that were put--" we don't have Trump people. They were CIA people.
That location was given to me. Mike Pence went up before me, paid great homage to the wall. I then went up, paid great homage to the wall. I then spoke to the crowd. I got a standing ovation. In fact, they said it was the biggest standing ovation since Peyton Manning had won the Super Bowl and they said it was equal. I got a standing ovation. It lasted for a long period of time. What you do is take -- take out your tape -- you probably ran it live. I know when I do good speeches. I know when I do bad speeches. That speech was a total home run. They loved it. I could've . . .
People loved it. They loved it. They gave me a standing ovation for a long period of time. They never even sat down, most of them, during the speech. There was love in the room. You and other networks covered it very inaccurately. I hate to say this to you and you probably won't put it on but turn on Fox and see how it was covered. And see how people respond to that speech.
That speech was a good speech. And you and a couple of other networks tried to downplay that speech. And it was very, very unfortunate that you did. The people of the CIA loved the speech. If I was going to take a vote in that room, there were, like, 300, 350 people, over 1,000 wanted to be there but they couldn't. They were all CIA people. I would say I would've gotten 350 to nothing in that room. That's what the vote would've been. That speech was a big hit, a big success -- success. And then I came back and I watched you on television and a couple of others.  . . .
And they tried to demean. . . .  and they tried to demean the speech. And I know when things are good or bad. A poll just came out on my inauguration speech which was extraordinary that people loved it. Loved and liked. And it was an extraordinary poll.
Um.  "Right. Well, I have to -- I have to go now, Duane, because I, I'm due back on the planet Earth."

The 25th Amendment outlines a procedure to remove the president when he becomes disabled or incapacitated.  It states: "whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President."

The 25th Amendment was invoked twice during the Bush Administration to temporarily transfer power to the Vice President when Bush underwent a colonoscopy.  It is time to use it permanently with regard to another asshole. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment