Friday, November 12, 2010

Hey Hey, My My

Neil Young turns 65 today.  After Bob Dylan, Neil Young (in my opinion) is the greatest North American singer/songwriter/musician of the Rock 'n Roll Era.  He is still writing and playing with originality and integrity today, having released a new album, Le Noise.  He continues to organize an annual benefit for the Bridge School, an educational organization for children with severe verbal and physical disabilities, where he and other great musicians perform in Northern California.  My favorite albums were the ones from the 1970s, particularly After the Gold Rush, Harvest, Zuma and Rust Never Sleeps, as well as those he made with Crosby, Stills & Nash.  Many of his later albums also have great merit. And Neil has been releasing a series of archival material of previously unreleased studio and live recordings, which sound remarkably fresh and exciting.  So, Happy Birthday to NY.  We are very lucky that he didn't burn out or fade away.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Young's live compilations are incredible. Dylan is an icon, but disappointing as a live artist. The best of this genre, however, is Springsteen. Hands down.

Lovechilde said...

I was going to say that Bruce is third, He is a huge personal favorite of mine, but I haven't connected with much of his later stuff, I have to admit.

Post a Comment